Welcome to the 2022-2023 Texas Workers’ Compensation Market Report. ICT prepares this report for our members who write workers compensation insurance to provide a snapshot of the Texas system. We create this report using information from various state and national sources.
Texas continues to enjoy a healthy and vibrant workers’ compensation market thanks to a stable regulatory environment, generally positive outcomes for injured workers, reasonable rates for employers, and a sufficient pool of healthcare providers and other ancillary services.
- Texas is the fifth largest state for Direct Written Premiums (DWP) in the country.
- In 2022, the national market saw total DWPs reach over $56 billion; and Texas accounted for an impressive 4.5% ($2.6 billion) in DWP.
- Employers continued to enjoy a competitive market with lower rates.
- Final data detailing the impact of COVID-19 on workers and the Texas system.
- Updates on workers’ compensation healthcare networks.
- Overview of recent Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) rulemaking, enforcement, and compliance activities.
- Recent legislation and impact on the workers’ compensation system.
Thank you for your interest in workers’ compensation and membership in ICT. We look forward to working together to keep you informed and your interests represented in the Texas workers’ compensation insurance market.
I want to thank my team for putting together this report, especially Angie Cervantes, ICT’s manager of government and legislative affairs, for her work on DWC matters and keeping our WC members informed and updated. Additionally, I want to thank Burns Anderson law firm for their tremendous work as our workers’ compensation counsel. Without them, this report would not be possible.
Albert Betts, Jr.
Executive Director, Insurance Council of Texas